Can Dogs Eat Candy Canes? Xylitol poisoning is real!

As the holiday season approaches, it's important to remember that not all treats are safe for our furry friends. One common hazard to watch out for is xylitol poisoning, which can occur when dogs eat candy canes or other products containing this artificial sweetener.

Xylitol is a sugar substitute that is often used in sugar-free gums, candies, and other products. While it is safe for humans to consume, it can be very dangerous for dogs. When ingested, xylitol causes a rapid insulin release in dogs, leading to a sudden drop in blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Symptoms of xylitol poisoning in dogs can include vomiting, loss of coordination, and seizures. In severe cases, it can even be deadly.

So, can dogs eat candy canes? The short answer is no. Most candy canes contain xylitol, and even a small amount can be harmful to dogs. It's important to keep all xylitol-containing products out of reach of your furry friends, and to be aware of any other products that may contain this artificial sweetener.

If you want to treat your dog during the holiday season, consider a healthier option like Good Boys Dog Treats. This business sells single ingredient dog treats made with either chicken or beef, with no preservatives. These treats are a great way to show your furry friend some love without the risk of xylitol poisoning. You can find Good Boys Dog Treats at Keep your dog safe and healthy this holiday season!

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published